[ESS] Turning off ess-smart-underscore

A.J. Rossini blindglobe at gmail.com
Thu Aug 25 20:53:08 CEST 2005

On 8/25/05, Sebastian Luque <spluque at gmail.com> wrote:
> Michael Hoffman <hoffman.mm at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > I'm glad you like it, but personally I think it is strange and
> > surprising to type in one character and get four unrelated characters
> > instead. Wouldn't you think it were strange if typing in the other
> > non-alphanumeric character used in identifiers, ".", gave you " <<- "
> > instead? I sure would.
>
> That's a core part of Emacs that makes it so great; it allows you to use
> simple keys or key sequences, rarely used in any given mode, for
> abreviating frequently used combinations of characters.  I'm sure the ESS
> core group thought very hard about where to map the universal assignment
> operator in R/S, and I can't think of a better option than the underscore.
>
> I think the default behaviour is ideal for current conventions, but
> probably not so for people using non-standard forms of assignment.  In the
> latter case, the user can easily switch ess-toggle-underscore.

Maybe the right solution
       (for the wrong problem, of course -- using "_" for anything other than
        as a deprecated "<-" is evil, and "=" for assignment means that
        someone will rot in hades)
would be to have an "electric-underscore-toggle"  with settings
'wonderdog and 'transfer
where the former would have the "stock behaviour" and the latter would
insert the true value of " <- " when pressed twice.

Or maybe not.

best,
-tony

"Commit early,commit often, and commit in a repository from which we can easily
roll-back your mistakes" (AJR, 4Jan05).

A.J. Rossini
blindglobe at gmail.com