[ESS] Turning off ess-smart-underscore

Michael Hoffman hoffman.mm at gmail.com
Thu Aug 25 14:32:53 CEST 2005

Martin Maechler wrote:
> Typing "_" twice gives you the "_" litteral when you use it.
> Note that I --- as a fervent promoter of using  " <- "  for assignment ---
> would advise everyone to keep the smart undercore and get in the
> habit of quickly pressing it twice when you need it litterally
> --- something which is much less frequent for me than needing
> assignment.

I'm glad you like it, but personally I think it is strange and
surprising to type in one character and get four unrelated characters
instead. Wouldn't you think it were strange if typing in the other
non-alphanumeric character used in identifiers, ".", gave you " <<- "
instead? I sure would.

>     StEgl> (ess-toggle-underscore nil)

Thanks for the help Stephen! This seems to do the charm.
--
Michael Hoffman