[ESS] R in telnet session in emacs: too much ee eecc eecchh ...

Woodrow Setzer wsetzer at mindspring.com
Mon Apr 11 19:29:56 CEST 2005

I am trying to get  R working in a remote telnet session with emacs.  (emacs version 21.3.1, ESS version 5.2.6, both local and remote systems FC 1, with openmosix kernel )

I believe I've followed the instructions in the documentation:
1) start a telnet session with M-x telnet
2) start R in the remote session in the usual way
3) execute M-x ess-remote, and tell it I want "r"

When R starts up, I see two command prompts:

and every command I type is echoed multiple times, progressively: something like this for ls():
>> l> l> ls> ls> ls(> ls(> ls()> ls()

I'm guessing this is not what is supposed to happen, and most likely I need to change some configuration.  The same thing happens with rlogin.  I have a completely local system, so don't need to use ssh, and ssh.el is not installed  Any ideas?

Thanks.

Woody Setzer
National Center for Computational Toxicology
US Environmental Protection Agency
Research Triangle Park, NC 27711