[ESS] Is ess supposed to help with Sweave documents?

Paul Johnson pauljohn at ku.edu
Thu Oct 28 18:59:01 CEST 2004

OK, I think this is helping.  On Fedora Core 2 and Fedora Core 3 Test3,
I have emacs-21.3.  I do have the cl and cl-seq files in the
/usr/share/emacs/21.3/lisp dirctory:
$ find . -name "cl*"
./emacs-lisp/cl.elc
./emacs-lisp/cl-compat.elc
./emacs-lisp/cl-macs.elc
./emacs-lisp/cl-extra.elc
./emacs-lisp/cl-specs.el
./emacs-lisp/cl-seq.elc
./emacs-lisp/cl-indent.elc

After following the link to the cl page that David offers, I put this
into the top  of ~/.emacs

(require 'cl)

And now David's functions do work properly. Hooray!  MUCH more convenient.

I would second David's proposal that one coherent set of tools and
practices be developed.  For me, Emacs is frustrating because even the
simplest things, like making the screen fonts bigger, is a challenge.
Maybe, when Emacs-gtk materializes, some of this frustration will go
away. But, somehow, I doubt it.

pj