[ESS] problem running ess/xemacs on windows2000

Benjamin M. Osborne Benjamin.Osborne at uvm.edu
Fri Oct 22 00:16:05 CEST 2004

Hello,
I've just installed Xemacs and ESS to run R on a Windows2000 PC, following the
instructions on John Fox's web page.  When I run Xemacs, I get the following
error:

"(1) (initialization/error) An error has occurred while loading c:\Documents and
Settings\bmo\.xemacs\init.el:

Invalid read syntax: "Cannot read unreadable object"

To ensure normal operation, you should investigate the cause of the error
in your initialization file and remove it.  Use the `-debug-init' option
to XEmacs to view a complete error backtrace."

Any suggestions on how to repair this problem would be appreciated.

-Ben Osborne
--
Botany Department
University of Vermont