[ESS] simple questions

Liaw, Andy andy_liaw at merck.com
Fri Oct 15 12:37:19 CEST 2004

> From: Meinhard Ploner
>
> hi!
> I'm sure these questions are answered by some manual, but it would be
> very fine not to search all ;-)
>
> 1) how can I open a new buffer for terminal commands as using svn or
> cp, ls, ...

M-x eshell

> 2) how do I move in the current editing buffer up and down
> without the
> cursor is moved (I know C+l for similar effects).

Don't know this one, but C-h a scroll might help.

> 3) I know how to change to the last buffer (C-x b) and to the buffer
> list (C-x C-b). But can I change directly to the 2nd last
> buffer or can
> I rotate through the buffers with shortcuts?

C-x b asks you which buffer you want to go to (default is last).  In XEmacs,
you can click button2 on a hotspot on the modeline (where the buffer name is
shown) and cycle through all buffers.  Don't know if the same thing works in
Emacs though.

HTH,
Andy