[ESS] Object name completion slow

Stephen Eglen S.J.Eglen at damtp.cam.ac.uk
Tue Nov 30 10:43:25 CET 2004

 > I have Emacs-21.3.50.1 (from http://nqmacs.sourceforge.net/) +
 > ESS 5.2.3 running on Windows XP and object completion is so slow that I
 > go for a coffee the when I press TAB the first time after starting Emacs
 > + ESS to complete an object name. (Perhaps I should never turn the thing
 > off?!)
 >
 > I had Xemacs running earlier and then object completion was much quicker
 > and actually saved time :) (replaced with GNU Emacs for various reasons)
 >
 > I am very fond of ESS and if someone with more knowledge could figure
 > out the reason behind this slow behavior that would be super.
 >
 > Cheers, Henrik
 >

 > platform i386-pc-mingw32
 > arch     i386
 > os       mingw32
 > system   i386, mingw32
 > status
 > major    2
 > minor    0.0
 > year     2004
 > month    10
 > day      04
 > language R

Dear Henrik,
thanks for pointing out the nqmacs site.  I have access to Win XP, so
can try to look at this in the coming days.  (I prefer Emacs over
XEmacs too, so I'd like to know why this completion is so slow... this
has been mentioned a few times.)

In the meantime, nqmacs was built in July - don't suppose you know of
more recent builds?

Thanks,

Stephen