[ESS] ESS speedbar (how to remove)?

Stephen Eglen S.J.Eglen at damtp.cam.ac.uk
Sat Nov 6 18:31:13 CET 2004

 > I the latest version of ESS (see below), opening a '.R' file gives me a
 > very big and friendly 'speedbar' (I think that is what it is called).
 >
 > It has about 7 buttons, each for some commen ESS tasks.

hi Dan, I think you refer to the ESS icons that are added to the Emacs
toolbar.  (Are they to the right of other icons?).  In which case you
should be able to inhibit the ESS toolbar by doing:

(setq ess-use-toolbar nil)

in your .emacs BEFORE loading ess-site. i.e. put it before the
following line in your .emacs:
(require 'ess-site)

(Speedbar is a different thing in Emacs, see
http://cedet.sourceforge.net/speedbar.shtml )

best wishes, stephen