ess-mode 5.2.0; void-variable comint-last-input-end

Stephen Eglen stephen at anc.ed.ac.uk
Thu May 27 11:16:09 CEST 2004

Dear John

 > I am trying to upgrade to ESS 5.2.0 (from 5.1.24)
 > http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.ess.general/112
 > but when I start XEmacs and
 > each time I send a line to the R process I get the error
 >
 > (error/warning) Error in process filter: (void-variable
 > comint-last-input-end)
 >
 > I dont have 'comint-last-input-end' in my init.el file
 > so I assume that it is something new in 5.2.0.
 > Has anyone else encountered this problem?
This is odd, and I don't see this variable used in the lisp source.
>From the "Reporting Bugs" part of the manual:

   If Emacs reports an error, backtraces can help us debug the problem.
Type "M-x set-variable RET debug-on-error RET t RET".  Then run the
command that causes the error and you should see a *Backtrace* buffer
containing debug information; send us that buffer.

Please could you send us a *Backtrace* buffer if you get one.

 > It tried to browse
 > http://news.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.ess.general
 > for a solution without success.
 > (Is there a better way to search the archieves?)

Actually, you've just shown me a nicer way to search the archives than
I knew before -- at the bottom of the URL you sent me I see a green
"Search" box.

Thanks,
Stephen