is it possible to display plots in an emacs buffer?

Angel Lopez angel_lul at hotmail.com
Fri May 21 15:40:13 CEST 2004

I've taken this sentence from a recent thread:
_The usual answer to a question of the form "is it possible to do ....?"
is "yes, here is how"_

Lets try:
is it possible to display the plots R makes inside an emacs buffer?

I hope to get the usual answer... ;-)

I'll explain the idea a bit more. When I am working in emacs and make a
plot, a new X11 window opens, I see the plot and to get back to emacs I
have to close or minimize the X11, I loose quite a lot of time doing
this every day. Wouldn't it be great if the plots could be displayed
directly inside an emacs buffer?

I guess opening an X11 device inside an emacs buffer is not possible (am
I right?) but other interim solutions would also be great.
For example:
  - I can open an image (called say "Rplots.png" or other appropiatte
format, maybe eps?) in an emacs buffer.
  - Every time I would make a plot in the ESS proccess the output is
written to this file instead of the default X11 and an automatic call to
revert-buffer is done in the emacs buffer displaying the image.
  Is it to possible to do this? Has anybody already implemented it?
Best regards,
Angel