trouble with object completion

Katki, Hormuzd (NIH/NCI) katkih at mail.nih.gov
Mon May 3 22:39:38 CEST 2004

	Hi everyone.  I have installed R 1.9.0patch on Windows2000, running
Emacs 20.7 with ESS 5.2.0, and everything works fine, except for the object
completion in R.
	I followed the instructions in the documentation for creating the
database files -- I went to the ESS/lisp directory, ran M-x
ess-create-object-name-db
, and the file ess-r-namedb.el was created in there, and it has all the
objects in it.  This directory is both on my Windows /PATH/ as well as on
the load-path in my .emacs.
	When I open an inferior R process, emacs tells me that it has
successfully loaded this file in *Messages*.  But when I hit TAB, it reforms
all the possible completions through all the packages again!  Once it is
done, then I have it for that session, but emacs told me it had loaded the
database file.

	Even if I paste contents of ess-r-namedb.el (setq
ess-object-name-db '((...) directly into my .emacs, when I hit TAB, emacs
attempts to reform all the completions again, taking forever.

	Is there a command I can use to manually force the session to load
the object completion database?  Is there a way I can see what the object
completion database (as loaded) has in it?  This problem happened to me in R
1.8.1 with ESS 5.1.16 also.

Any help you can give is greatly appreciated.  Thank you,
Hormuzd

Hormuzd Katki
Biostatistics Branch, Division of Cancer Epidemiology and Genetics
National Cancer Institute, NIH, DHHS
6120 Executive Blvd. Room 8044 MSC 7244
Rockville, MD 20852-4910
301-594-7818 (voice)