split-window-vertically

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Wed Jul 21 14:09:30 CEST 2004

    tony> David Brahm  <brahm at alum.mit.edu> writes:
    >> Unfortunately, I'm used to splitting vertically and running R in the *upper*
    >> half, via a home-grown macro, and I'm too old to change :-/  Does anyone know
    >> how to modify this behavior (ESS's, not mine)?

    tony> Electroshock therapy (for ESS-core, not you? ;-)

    tony> Seriously, I think that we fixed that via some
    tony> variable additions in the version to become ESS 5.2.3.
    tony> Or we should.

yes, we should.  No, we haven't yet.  The embarassing issues:
1) We should never have started to do this
2) We should have seen that changed behavior and fixed it in due time.

The reason that "2)" didn't happen with me:

  I have 'C-x 1' and 'C-x 2' hardwired in my fingertips and type
  these so quickly whenever needed that I didn't even notice the new
  (wrong) behavior...

So this is also your workaround, David:

  After M-x R and R has started up:
    C-x 1	    (make *R* the unique window)
    C-x 4 C-f [find file in other window: Something very useful
	       you'd might consider teaching your fingertips as well]
    and give the *.R file name.

This ends as you like it: two buffers, *R* upper, foo.R lower