error while starting R und XEmacs

Rodney Sparapani rsparapa at post.its.mcw.edu
Mon Feb 23 15:56:34 CET 2004

>hi all,
>
>I just installed Redhat Fedora (I'm new on unix-like systems) and tried to
start R in XEmacs 21.5.b16.

>R-version:
>platform i686-pc-linux-gnu
>arch     i686
>os       linux-gnu
>system   i686, linux-gnu
>status
>major    1
>minor    8.1
>year     2003
>month    11
>day      21
>language R
>
>I installed all XEmacs-Packages (sucessfully, I hope so) and put
>(require 'ess-site) in my init.el.
>After typing M-x R the following error-message occurs:
>
>Invalid state: Bogus value for 'default-process-coding-system', nil
>
>Under Windows I work with R and XEmacs without any problems and both typing
XEmacs and R in bash works well.

>Could anybody give me a hint
>
>Thanks very much (and sorry for my poor english)
>
>Thomas

Thomas:

Don't know, but I have never had much luck with 21.5.  It has only been quite
recently that I've been able to recommend stable, 21.4, for ESS.  I suggest that
you try 21.4.14 or 15.  Another thing that might help, is using the latest ESS.
The sumo includes an older version so get the latest, 5.2.0beta3 @ our web page
(which appears to be down at the moment) or StatLib,
http://lib.stat.cmu.edu/general/ESS/ess/

Rodney Sparapani              Medical College of Wisconsin
Sr. Biostatistician           Patient Care & Outcomes Research
rsparapa at mcw.edu              http://www.mcw.edu/pcor
Was 'Name That Tune' rigged?  WWLD -- What Would Lombardi Do