[ESS] Cannot open load file: executable

Heinz Tuechler tuechler at gmx.at
Thu Dec 30 12:55:43 CET 2004

Using Xemacs version 21.4 - April 2001 I had no problem until I updated the
installed packages.
Now I receive the error message:
(1) (initialization/error) An error has occurred while loading
d:\xemacs\.xemacs\init.el:

Cannot open load file: executable

To ensure normal operation, you should investigate the cause of the error
in your initialization file and remove it.  Use the `-debug-init' option to
XEmacs to view a complete error backtrace.

I have very little experience with Xemacs, therefore my question is:
How do I " Use the `-debug-init' option"?
more precisely
Where can I find a documentation that explains how to invoke this option.

Just in case, someone wants to comment on the error, here is more information.

I use Xemacs version 21.4; April 2001 with the sample init.el file for ess
+ Xemacs under MS Windows by  John Fox 5 November 2004 Version 0.6.1
OS: Windows98SE / German

Installed packages after update are:
                 Latest Installed
  Package name   Vers.  Vers.   Description
  dired           1.15   1.15   Manage file systems.
  ediff           1.50   1.50   Interface over GNU patch.
  edit-utils      2.14   2.14   Miscellaneous editor extensions,
  efs             1.32   1.32   Treat files on remote systems th
  ess             1.10   1.10   ESS: Emacs Speaks Statistics.
  fsf-compat      1.14   1.14   FSF Emacs compatibility files.
  mail-lib        1.67   1.67   Fundamental lisp files for provi
  pc              1.26   1.26   PC style interface emulation.
  speedbar        1.27   1.27   Provides a separate frame with c
  vc              1.38   1.38   Version Control for Free systems
  xemacs-base     1.87   1.87   Fundamental XEmacs support, you

Installed packages after before were:
                 Latest Installed
  Package name   Vers.  Vers.   Description
  dired           1.12   1.15   Manage file systems.
  ediff           1.41   1.49   Interface over GNU patch.
  edit-utils      1.89   2.11   Miscellaneous editor extensions,
  efs             1.29   1.32   Treat files on remote systems th
  ess             1.02   1.07   ESS: Emacs Speaks Statistics.
  fsf-compat      1.11   1.14   FSF Emacs compatibility files.
  mail-lib        1.47   1.64   Fundamental lisp files for provi
  pc              1.25   1.26   PC style interface emulation.
  speedbar        1.23   1.27   Provides a separate frame with c
  vc              1.33   1.38   Version Control for Free systems
  xemacs-base     1.66   1.84   Fundamental XEmacs support, you

Since I am using the identical init.el-file I don't think that the error
has to do with this file.
After some experiments I suspect that it could have to do with the file
essd-sas.elc.

For the next days I will have little access to the internet, so please
excuse me if I do not respond immediately. This is also the cause why I did
not search a lot in archives.

Thanks in advance

Heinz Tüchler