command line arguments to R

A.J. Rossini rossini at blindglobe.net
Tue Aug 24 19:20:05 CEST 2004

Stephen Eglen <S.J.Eglen at damtp.cam.ac.uk> writes:

> The current development version of ESS has a new variable,
> inferior-R-args, that allows you to set command line args to pass to
> R.  This is in response to recent requests on the list (e.g. from Andy
> Liaw and Pierre Kleiber):
>
>  > I normally get R started within ess using a bash script containing:
>  >    emacs -f R
>  >
>  > I'm searching for a way to add a command line argument to R, but with no
>  > luck so far.  I figure some kind of lisp wrapper function would do, but my
>  > lisp abilities are very primitive.  Any suggestions?
>
> So, to answer Pierre's email, with the latest version, you can now do:
>
> emacs --eval='(let ((inferior-R-args "-q --no-save")) (R))'
>
> or just put (setq inferior-R-args "-q --no-save") in your .emacs.
>
> As a reminder:
>
> To get the latest development version of ESS, you need a the
> subversion client `svn' configured with `--with-ssl' support.  You can
> then do:
>
> %  svn checkout https://svn.r-project.org/ESS/trunk ess-svn

and this will stick everything into a subdirectory, ess-svn  (from
within, you can use "svn update" to bring yourself up to date, but BE
CAREFUL, since the bleeding edge might be a bit bloody).

There are nice Windows-integrated tools such as TortoiseSVN, etc,
which might also be of interest, and they've got corresponding
advantages/disadvantages to the command-line tools.

best,
-tony

--
Anthony Rossini			    Research Associate Professor
rossini at u.washington.edu            http://www.analytics.washington.edu/

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message and any attachme...{{dropped}}