[R-SIG-Mac] R in ESS. Add R functions to menu with the init.el file.

Rodney Sparapani rsparapa at post.its.mcw.edu
Wed Aug 18 16:19:18 CEST 2004

I haven't tried xemacs recently on Mac OS X, but I suspect that might be part of
the problem.  The latest GNU emacs via CVS along with ESS 5.2.2 should behave in
a similar manner without needing John Fox's extensions.  Stephen has these
helpful comments in ess-toolbar.el:
;;; To use this code, place the following in .emacs after you have
;;; loaded ess-site:
;;;
;;; (setq ess-use-toolbar t)
;;; (if (fboundp 'tool-bar-mode) (tool-bar-mode t))	;Emacs 21.
;;; (require 'ess-toolbar)
;;; If you see a toolbar, but no icons, check out the value of
;;; ess-icon-directory.

>Tiago R Magalhaes writes:
> > Hi to you all
> >
> > I have tried to have R working in Xemacs/ESS. I have installed both
> > programs, tried to use R. I wanted to have some basic functions in
> > the menu: change directory, load packages, save workspace, load
> > worspace and such and wanted to have a init file that would allow me
> > to do that.
> >
> > I came across John Fox's init file (www. ) and that seems to be what
> > I want, installing a new menu with functions as load packages, save
> > workspace, change directory and so on.
> >
> > I tried to use this as init file, but the file was done for PCs and
> > althought I thought that ESS was platform independent I can't make
> > the file to work. (Some of it works, but most of it and specially the
> > new R menu isn't there)
> >
> > If anyone has a "Mac John Fox" file or any file that would do this
> > type of  R customization it would be wonderfully welcomed!
> >
> > Thank you very much for any help.
> >
> > I'm using a PowerBook G4 using Panther OS X. Xemacs 21.4 and ESS is 5.2.2.

Rodney Sparapani              Medical College of Wisconsin
Sr. Biostatistician           Patient Care & Outcomes Research
rsparapa at mcw.edu              http://www.mcw.edu/pcor
Was 'Name That Tune' rigged?  WWLD -- What Would Lombardi Do