split screen on startup

Bjørn-Helge Mevik bhx2 at mevik.net
Thu Aug 5 09:40:47 CEST 2004

Martin Maechler <maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch> writes:

>     Pierre> Is there any way to organize startup so that the *R*
>     Pierre> buffer occupies the whole screen rather than sharing
>     Pierre> it with the *scratch* buffer?
>
> that doesn't normally happen.

To me it usually does, both on Linux and Windows (NTemacs).  It's done
that as long as I can remember.  I just did a few tests, and it seems
that whenever I am in a buffer that is not an iESS buffer, the buffer
remains visible in a window; either the iESS buffer is shown in one of
the other windows in the frame, or a new window is created for it.

(Note that I think that's a perfectly OK behaviour of ESS. :-)

> It only happens if you have a setup derived from John Fox'
> original hints on setting up ESS+Xemacs for windows.

I have just followed the instructions contained in the ESS distribution.

--
Bjørn-Helge Mevik