Cannot find sqpe+6 in Xemacs

Sundar Dorai-Raj sundar.dorai-raj at PDF.COM
Fri Apr 2 19:42:35 CEST 2004

A.J. Rossini wrote:

> Sundar Dorai-Raj <sundar.dorai-raj at PDF.COM> writes:
>

>>Richard M. Heiberger wrote:
>>
>>>The most likely cause of the problem is that you installed S-Plus 6.2 somewhere
>>>else than what you told ESS.
>>>Verify that you have the correct pathnames in the three places where
>>>the
>>>path to various pieces of S-Plus are located.
>>>If changing the path doesn't repair the problem, pick up the exact
>>>message from the PC
>>>and send that to us.
>>>Rich
>>
>>Rich,
>>   Thanks for replying. I am sure S-PLUS is where I've told the
>>   init.el file and S-PLUS is in my path. However, the problem
>>   persists. In Xemacs, I will type M-x to enter the minibuffer, then
>>   "sqpe" (no quotes), then [TAB] to get the *Completions* buffer. I
>>   will get a message in the minibuffer saying "[No match]". This
>>   implies to me that "Sqpe" is no where to be found in the load table.
>>
>>As I have noted before, I am using Xemacs 21.4 (patch 11) with S-PLUS
>>6.2 and ESS 5.1.21 (downloaded yesterday from within Xemacs). I also
>>have no problem starting R with ESS. Could there be a problem with the
>>download. I seem to recall a "maybe" on the ESS installation webpage.
>

> Others have made it work, so I suspect location specification problem.
>
> The "maybe" is because it's an older version -- I'm rolling up pre5
> today, and will finally (after a few years) commit to the XEmacs tree
> as well.
>
> best,
> -tony

Tony/Rich,

Thanks for the reply from both (and the wonderful software!). I couldn't
fix the problem with Xemacs and just moved back to emacs 21.2.1. I
installed ess-5.2.0beta4 and all is copacetic. I don't know what the
problem was, but I am back on track.

Thanks again,

--sundar