ESS and RAqua

Thomas Lumley tlumley at u.washington.edu
Fri Sep 12 23:42:09 CEST 2003

On Fri, 12 Sep 2003, A.J. Rossini wrote:

> Thomas Lumley <tlumley at u.washington.edu> writes:
>
> > When R 1.8.0 comes out in a few weeks there will be a GUI version for Mac
> > OS distributed in binary form.  Presumably some people (like me) will want
> > to use ESS rather than the GUI at least some of the time.
> >
> > 1) FYI.  This can be done with
> >  (setq inferior-R-program-name
> >     "/Applications/StartR.app/RAqua.app/Contents/bin/R")
> > The path can safely be hard-coded because the GUI won't work unless it's
> > in that location.
>
> Thanks, I'll add that to ess-site -- with this be a DMG installer, or
> ...?

An Apple Package installer.

> > 2) That is ugly because the entire path is displayed when prompting
> > for the starting directory.  Is there a way to set the path to R
> > separately from the name?
>
> Do you mean, have a default for the starting directory different from
> the current working directory of either emacs or R ?

No, I mean have a separate setting for the path to R from the name of the
executable.  It seems that inferior-R-program-name is intended for the
case where the R executable is called something other than R, and there
isn't a convenient way to say that it is called R but lives in
/Applications/StartR.app/RAqua.app/Contents/bin.

Traditionally this doesn't arise because R would be on the the shell's
PATH, but that is less reliably true once you have GUI operating systems.

	-thomas