ESS "hacks" for some MacOS X versions

Rodney Sparapani rsparapa at mcw.edu
Wed Nov 5 16:12:45 CET 2003

>     On Nov 4, 2003, at 9:57 PM, Jan de Leeuw wrote:
>
>     [.......]
>
>     > Byron Ellis has pointed out that the Carbon Emacs pty bug is also
>     > fixed, if you us the following
>     > ~/.emacs.
>     >
>     > (setq load-path (append load-path
>     > '("/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/ess-5.1.24/lisp")))
>     > (require 'ess-site)
>     > (setq process-connection-type 't)
>     >
>     > Unfortunately you cannot use X11 or Quartz from R running in Carbon
>     > Emacs (yet).
>     >
>     For X11 under Emacs I put this little hack in my ~/.emacs file and
>     things seem to work:
>
>     ;;X11 hack for ESS under OSX
>     (if (null (getenv "DISPLAY"))
> 	 (setenv "DISPLAY" ":0.0"))
>
>     No Quartz though (Ah, for the day when I can drag my plot directly to
>     Keynote from R :-) ).

It looks to me like your DISPLAY environment variable is just not set.
You can fix that by setting it to "localhost:0" in your shell
initialization file and then launching either X11 or Carbon emacs from
your shell.  Also, note that the pty bug has been fixed in Panther.
And finally, according to the documentation of R 1.8.0, Aqua and X11
are now supported with a single executable.  I haven't gotten around
to trying it yet, but apparently quartz() is also supported.

Rodney Sparapani              Medical College of Wisconsin
Sr. Biostatistician           Patient Care & Outcomes Research
rsparapa at mcw.edu              http://www.mcw.edu/pcor
Was 'Name That Tune' rigged?  WWLD -- What Would Lombardi Do