Extending ESS -- Mathematica

Eduardo Nogueira nogueira at hc.unicamp.br
Wed May 14 19:52:16 CEST 2003

On Wednesday 14 May 2003 05:32, Jan Rychter wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been using ESS for a while now, with R. Since I do some work with
> Mathematica as well, I started wondering -- why not just use the same
> interface for both programs? The command-line frontend to Mathematica
> seems to behave very similarly to R (and probably many other
> interactive computational packages). The syntax for programs is very
> strict and logical.
>
> Here's what an example session looks like:
>
> m1:/home/jwr>math
> Mathematica 4.2 for Linux
> Copyright 1988-2002 Wolfram Research, Inc.
>  -- Terminal graphics initialized --
>
> In[1]:= f[x_] := x^2
>
> In[2]:= Integrate[f[x], x]
>
>          3
> Out[2]= --
>         3
>
> In[3]:= Plot[f[x], {x, -2, 2}]
>
> [...if you have X, a popup window appears, if you don't, you get a nice
>  ASCII plot...]
>
> Out[3]= -Graphics-
>
> In[4]:= Exit[]
>
> I wanted to ask before I do anything -- has anyone attempted this? Also,
> a word of advice would be nice: is it difficult to extend ESS to support
> another package? Are there any particular limitations of ESS that would
> make this a difficult undertaking?

I do not know of anything concerning Mathematica & ESS but if you want just
to use Mathematica within emacs try loading the file math.el  (available in
the web) - like   < M-x >   < load-file>   < math.el>  and then M-x <math> or
<mathematica>

Eduardo Nogueira, MD, PhD
Cardiac Catheterization Laboratory
University of Campinas Medical School