ESS hangs in Xemacs

Scott, Steven Sscott at marshall.usc.edu
Thu Mar 6 23:43:23 CET 2003

I recently downloaded Xemacs and R (version 1.6.2) onto my new XP machine.

When I try to start an R/iESS session Xemacs hangs.  I set Options->Troubleshooting->Debug on (Error/Signal/Quit), to get the backtrace shown below.

I'm not too comfortable with lisp, but I'm guessing that I need to make err-r-namedb.el and put it somewhere.  However, I can't find any *.el or *.elc files in the Xemacs distribution, so I'm not sure where to put it.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Gracias,

Steve Scott (sls at usc.edu)

------------- Backtrace--------------------
Signaling: (file-error "Cannot open load file %s" "ess-r-namedb.el")
  signal(file-error ("Cannot open load file %s" "ess-r-namedb.el"))
  load("ess-r-namedb.el")
  ess-load-object-name-db-file()
  inferior-ess-mode()
  ess-multi("R" #<buffer "*R*"> "--ess ")
  inferior-ess("--ess ")
  R(nil)
  call-interactively(R)
  command-execute(R t)
  execute-extended-command(nil)
  call-interactively(execute-extended-command)