Timeout waiting for prompt. Check inferior-ess-prompt or ess-loop-timeout.

A.J. Rossini rossini at blindglobe.net
Fri Jul 11 16:49:24 CEST 2003

It might be solved in 5.1.24, but more importantly, I need to upgrade
the XEmacs ESS package -- I've been trying to finish up a few things,
release 5.1.25 (probably 5.2pre1) but things like changing
departments, administrative cruft, and setting up a computational
research lab, all related to solving job-hell, have gotten in the way.

Jonathan Baron <baron at psych.upenn.edu> writes:

> I get exactly the following behavior, from a message from the
> ess-help archives, July 30, 2001:
>
>   When I do M-x R it hangs for a bit. At this point, nothing has
>   any effect except Ctrl G, the menus don't respond etc. After a
>   couple of minutes R does start up in a second buffer, and the
>   minibuffer says
>   Timeout waiting for prompt. Check inferior-ess-prompt or
>   ess-loop-timeout.
>
> I'm using Xemacs 21.4 (patch 12) for Linux, and ESS 5.1.21. The
> problem started when I started using ESS as an Xemacs package
> (and, simultaneously, upgraded all my other Xemacs packages).
>
> I am having a very hard time debugging it, because - and here is
> the really puzzling thing - it happens only the first time I try
> it each day (after shutting down my computer for the night).
> (For several days, I would get the error, change something, then
> try again and not get it, and think I had fixed it!)
>
> After the first time, it still takes quite a while to start the
> prompt, but I don't get the error.
>
> Any ideas?

I think it's still an occassional problem with 5.1.24, but I've not
seen it in a while.

best,
-tony

A.J. Rossini  /  rossini at u.washington.edu  /  rossini at scharp.org
http://software.biostat.washington.edu/ UNTIL IT MOVES IN JULY.
Biomedical and Health Informatics, University of Washington
Biostatistics, HVTN/SCHARP, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center.
FHCRC: 206-667-7025 (fax=4812)|Voicemail is pretty sketchy/use Email

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message and any attachme...{{dropped}}