Setting up ESS for Win2000

John Fox jfox at mcmaster.ca
Fri Jan 3 20:50:24 CET 2003

Dear Jim,

Having the bin subdirectory for R, in which rterm.exe resides, on the
search path suffices for me using XEmacs under Windows 2000. You could try
adding the following line to your .emacs file (altering the path, of
course, to reflect the location of rterm.exe on your system):

(setq-default inferior-R-program-name "c:/Program Files/rwxxxx/bin/rterm.exe")

I hope that this helps,
  John

At 01:49 PM 1/3/2003 -0500, Jim_Garrett at bd.com wrote:

>I'm having trouble getting ESS to work properly on a Windows 2000 system.
>Specifically, when I try to start R, I get the message
>
>      Searching for program: no such file or directory, Rterm
>
>My path statement includes a path to Rterm.exe and I've verified that I can
>start Rterm from a DOS shell (and not starting from the Rterm's directory).
>
>I'm using GNU Emacs 21.2.1.  I haven't edited any configuration files
>(aside from .emacs, or rather _emacs).  I will be happy to supply any
>additional information.  I'm fairly new to emacs, or at least configuring
>emacs, so requests or suggestions may need to be rather explicit if I am to
>follow them.

John Fox
Department of Sociology
McMaster University