calling Splus 6 help from within emacs etc.

Faheem Mitha faheem at email.unc.edu
Sat Feb 15 22:11:49 CET 2003

On Sat, 15 Feb 2003, A.J. Rossini wrote:

> >> I hate it when inciteful does that...  You _CAN_ change it, read the
> >> comments in the file ess-site.el...
> >
> > Yes, but this will get overwritten at the next upgrade, right? Is there a
> > reason not to just change it?
>
> Because a prior release labeled it Splus6, and that did seem  to be
> the default for a while (just like Splus5 was for the 5.x series, may
> it die, and "Splus" was for 3.x).

Good grief. Proprietary software vendors... :-)

> >> It should be somewhere at http://stat.math.ethz.ch/, I'm not sure of
> >> the exact location.  If anyone finds it first, let me know, else I'll
> >> find it sometime after I return to work Tuesday.
> >
> > I get an "unknown host" for stat.math.ethz.ch.
>
> You might try http://stat.ethz.ch/
>
> It's the same place as the R mailing lists, if that helps.    I'll
> look Tuesday when I'm back to a windowed system.

Yes, the archives are at
ftp://ftp.stat.math.ethz.ch/Mail-archives/ess-help/, at least up to the
end of 2002. (The list seems to have been pretty quiet recently.) It would
be good to have a link to this from the official home page,
http://software.biostat.washington.edu/statsoft/ess/.

BTW, have you considered setting up a searchable html archive with
hypertext linking across messages in the same thread like the Debian
mailing list archives (and others)?  This seems almost a standard for free
software mailing lists.

> You _CAN_ make changes locally, as well.
>
> Just add the line in your .emacs file that you would've changed in
> ess-site.el.  It ought to work.

Yes, this is what I have done. Or rather, done for the person using Splus.
I don't use proprietary software myself. But it is not a site-wide change.
I assume there is no sidewide local override file?

Thanks.
                                                  Faheem.