ESS on Panther - Franconi's implementation

John Maindonald john.maindonald at anu.edu.au
Tue Dec 16 07:49:45 CET 2003

Re: Franconi's emacs

Kieran, thank you for that.

This may well be the preferred emacs for those who do not use
Jan de Leuuw's total bundle and do not want to take their chances
with compiling the current development version.  Everything that I
have tried so far works beautifully, both from an x11 terminal and
by clicking on the icon.

It comes with a recommended .emacs file, to which of course the
code for starting ESS can be added. It has very complete and
clear configuration information, including information that relates
to use with LaTeX and various other applications, and information
on creating a similarly enhanced emacs from scratch.

John Maindonald