starting inferior Splus process iESS[S]

Steve McKinney smckinney at insightful.com
Wed Apr 16 03:01:13 CEST 2003

Today I downloaded ntemacs 21.2 and ESS 5.1.24.
Improvements/additions are most excellent!
Many thanks to all the hard working developers.

Q1.
With Emacs 20.7 and ESS 5.1.16, I would get
nice fontification of Dired buffers (directories
colored blue etc.)

That did not happen with Emacs 21.2 and ESS 5.1.24.
Is there something I need to set up to get the
good old Dired fontification?

Q2.
I tried running S-PLUS out of Emacs/ESS.

First I tried M-x S while visiting an S-PLUS Chapter
in dired.

I see the following message in the *S+6* buffer:

c:/programfiles/insightful/splus61/cmd/splus.exe /MULTIPLEINSTANCES S_PRINT_COMMAND=gnuclientw.exe S_PROJ=e:/foo

Process S+6 exited abnormally with code 128 at Tue Apr 15 17:52:59 2003

Second I tried running M-x S+6-msdos  while visiting an S-PLUS Chapter
in dired.

After about 30 seconds I see a message in the *S+6* buffer.
No S-PLUS session appears, although with monitoring tools
(NT's taskmanager and "Process Explorer" from www.sysinternals.com)
I can see that an instance of S-PLUS has been invoked.
When I quit Emacs, I get a message that a subprocess is still
active and that it will be killed.  Once emacs closes,
the S-PLUS session finally opens a GUI window and appears to run
normally.

(I'm a little concerned by the message in the S+6 buffer that warns
I must q() from S-PLUS before killing emacs or risk not being
able to shutdown and having to run scandisk...)

Has anyone else encountered this behavior, and have any ideas
about how to get the emacs/ess - s-plus connection up and running?

Any info appreciated.

Steven McKinney
Consulting Services
Insightful Corporation

smckinney at insightful.com

tel: (800) 569-0123 x349
tel: (206) 283-8802 x349
fax: (206) 283-8691

Insightful Corporation
1700 Westlake Avenue North, Suite 500
Seattle, Washington 98109-3044 USA

Insightful Corporation (www.insightful.com)
provides analytical solutions leveraging
S-PLUS, StatServer, S-PLUS Analytic Server,
Insightful Miner, and consulting services.