problems - ess 5.1.20, xemacs 21.4.6, windows xp, R1.4.1

Dr Mike Waters michael.waters at dtn.ntl.com
Wed Feb 27 21:10:57 CET 2002

Hi,

I've just tried to set up ess 5.1.20 with Xemacs 21.4.6 on windows xp
pro to access Rterm, from R1.4.1. What I've done is:

Installed the Xemacs to default location.

Created a .xemacs subdirectory under my home directory in Documents and
Settings (from ~ in Xemacs)

Copied sample.init.el to init.el in that directory

Rerun Xemacs - no problems

Unzipped the ess

Added the line (load "E:/ess-5.1.20/lisp/ess-site.el") to my new init.el
file

Added the path to Rterm in control panel -> system -> advanced ->
environment variables

Tested this by typing Rterm in a console window - no problems

I then launched Xemacs and got the following error message:

(1) (initialization/error) An error has occurred while loading
c:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\.xemacs\init.el:

Symbol's function definition is void: defadvice

To ensure normal operation, you should investigate the cause of the
error

in your initialization file and remove it.  Use the `-debug-init' option

to XEmacs to view a complete error backtrace.

Have I forgotten something?

Been stupid?

This is new territory for me, so any pointers appreciated

TIA

Mike