Help Archives for a beginner

Martin Henry H. Stevens hstevens at rci.rutgers.edu
Wed Apr 25 22:57:11 CEST 2001

I am trying to load ESS on my Windows 98  machine (Emacs 20.7) and need more explicit instructions than are presented at http://www.r-project.org/ the R project home page. I would like to search the Archives of this ESS list, but I don't know where they are.

How do I access the Archives for this list ?

If anyone has VERY explicit instructions for loading ESS I would appreciate that even more. I can't make heads or tails out of pretty simple stuff. For instance, the help at R home page states
"In the ESS-5.1.x directory, edit the file `Makefile' (only if you want to place the executables in other locations; see LISPDIR and INFODIR) and then type:
make
make install"

I don't even know where type this. Emacs doesn't recognize "make" and MS DOS doesn't recognize it either.

Anyway, all advice is welcome.
thanks,
 Henry

Dr. M. Henry H. Stevens
Postdoctoral Associate
Department of Ecology, Evolution, & Natural Resources
14 College Farm Road
Cook College, Rutgers University
New Brunswick, NJ 08901-8551

email: hstevens at rci.rutgers.edu