including R in the SuSE Linux distribution (fwd)

Faheem Mitha faheem at email.unc.edu
Mon Mar 27 18:24:39 CEST 2000

Dear ESS users,

I recently sent the message below to the R mailing list. You may be aware
that R is a statistical package similar to Splus.  As you can see, the
message is about including R and and ESS in the Linux SuSE distribution.
Shortly after I sent out this message, it was pointed out to me that R
(base) was scheduled to be included in the new version of SuSE, SuSE 6.4.
In view of this, it seemed even more reasonable that ESS should be
included. This is why I am writing to this mailing list

I have changed my intention to that of asking SuSE to include ESS in 6.4
along with R, and also consider supporting the contributed extensions of
R. I will be sending this as a joint letter in the form of an email from
me with names/email addresses attached of people who agree with the
contents of this letter. If you would like your name included, let me
know. I will circulate a draft before I send it to SuSE.

                                 Sincerely, Faheem Mitha.