Always stay at the bottom of the window?

Paul Y. Peng ypeng at math.mun.ca
Thu Jul 27 04:04:33 CEST 2000

Kjetil Kjernsmo wrote:

> On Wed, 26 Jul 2000, Paul Y. Peng wrote:
>
> >This is an Emacs, not an ESS question. However, I believe that
> >gurus of ESS may know the answer as well.
> >
> >How can I have the last line of the output always at the bottom of
> >the window, rather than somewhere in the middle as the default?  Or
> >in other words, how can I always have the cursor at the bottom of
> >the window, just as the way in a xterm window?
>
> I don't know if this actually answers your question, but I might have had the
> same thought, that when some output scrolls across the screen, you would
> usually like to see the bottom of it, not something at an arbitrary place.
>
> The solution I found to this problem was simply to put the cursor at the
> bottom of the buffer. If the cursor is not at the bottom, you will not see
> what is happening further down, but if it is, output will scroll so that
> you will see the latest output.
>
> You might have something completely different in mind, but I thought this
> might be useful, in case it was the same problem as I had.... :-)

No. This is not the problem I have. I always put cursor at the bottom
of the buffer and I don't have any problem to see the last line of
the output. But the default setting of Emacs always places the last
line (and cursor) somewhere in the middle of the window. This setting
wastes the space in the lower part of the window. If I want to see a
few lines scrolled out of the upper boundary of the window, I have
to scroll up a little bit manually, which would otherwise be not
necessary. The code included in my last message does exactly what I
want, but it unfortunately conflicts with other Emacs commands.
Any clues?

Paul.
ess-help mailing list -- To (un)subscribe, send
subscribe	or	unsubscribe
(in the "body", not the subject !)  To: ess-help-request at stat.math.ethz.ch