[ESS] Patch for ESS 12.04 released

Vincent Goulet vincent.goulet at dgfc.ulaval.ca
Thu May 10 14:37:56 CEST 2012

HI Martin,

Ok. I noticed a few other glitches:

1. With previous archives of ess, I could, in Safari, right-click on the link to download the file and select "Save target as..." to save the file wherever I please on my disk. With ess-12.04-1.zip AND ess-12.04-1.tgz, Safari insists that the file name should end with ".html". Safari is not that dumb usually. If I let it add the extension and remove it afterwards from the command line, 'unzip' reports an invalid archive.

2. On OS X, where 'emacs' is defined from the command line, ess compilation fails here:

Source file `/Users/vincent/Emacs-modified/macos/ess-12.04-1/lisp/ess-tracebug.el' newer than byte-compiled file
Invalid character: 8212, #o20024, #x2014
make[2]: *** [ess-custom.elc] Error 255
make[1]: *** [install] Error 2

This may have to do with my problems downloading the archive.

3. On Windows, where 'emacs' is not recognized as a command on the command line, build fails here:

cd lisp; make install
make[2]: Entering directory `/c/Emacs-modified/ess-12.04-1/lisp'
emacs -batch -no-site-file -no-init-file -l ./ess-comp.el -f batch-byte-c
ess-custom.el
make[2]: emacs: Command not found
make[2]: *** [ess-custom.elc] Error 127
make[2]: Leaving directory `/c/Emacs-modified/ess-12.04-1/lisp'
make[1]: *** [install] Error 2

I suspect an 'emacs' has been hardcoded by mistake somewhere instead of using the environment variable.

The problems may very well be at my end, but I didn't change anything to my build environments since the previous release. Or perhaps 2 and 3 are related to 1.

HTH

v.

Vincent Goulet
Directeur général adjoint
Direction générale de la formation continue - DGFC