ess/debian/copyright

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Tue May 27 17:23:05 CEST 2008

    RoSp> Stephen Eglen wrote:
    >> This copyright issue discussion has brought to mind something I've
    >> thought about for a while:  would we ever wish for ESS to be
    >> distributed as part of GNU Emacs (can't speak for XEmacs)?
    >>
    >> If putting ESS into GNU Emacs is desirable, copyright papers will be
    >> needed from all ESS authors past and present; getting the
    >> debian/copyright file accurate might help in this process, but still
    >> there may be some authors who would prefer not to assign copyright
    >> over to FSF (this sometimes happens; e.g. the VM mail reader).
    >>
    >> Assuming we can get the papers signed,  it would then be a case of me
    >> talking to the emacs-devel team to see if they think it appropriate to
    >> add ESS (i could do that before we go to the effort of collecting
    >> paperword).
    >>
    >> That might be nice... but I do wonder whether it would be worth it:
    >>
    >> - Emacs releases are infrequent, so the version of ESS included in
    >> Emacs would soon be out of date.
    >>
    >> - thanks to Vincent Goulet, windows users already can get ESS for free
    >> as part of his Emacs distribution.
    >>
    >> - there'd be a slight maintenance issue of uploading ESS into Emacs (I
    >> could do that).
    >>
    >> Stephen

    RoSp> Hi Stephen:

    RoSp> I doubt it is worth all the effort, but, if you send me the paperwork,
    RoSp> I'll sign it.

I have very similar doubts as Rodney,
but would also agree to sign copyright transferal to the FSF if
you'd want to go into that direction, Stephen.

Since you, Stephen, seem to volunteer to do the extra work that
this would entail, I am also not opposed.
Martin