ess/debian/copyright

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Sat May 24 09:48:01 CEST 2008

(To both ess-debian and ess-core)

Nothing urgent, but since debian-maintenance of ESS has now
caught up so nicely ..

I haven't checked who is responsible for which part of the
copyright file, and I must admit that I am usually not much
interested in these things, but
when I've browsed the ess/debian/ files this morning,
I have been slightly irritated by seeing the years in this part

Copyright (C) 2004 - 2008 Martin Maechler
Copyright (C) 1994 - 2004 A.J. Rossini
Copyright (C) 1994 - 2008 Richard M. Heiberger <rmh at temple.edu>,
Copyright (C) 1994 - 2008 Kurt Hornik <kurt.hornik at R-project.org>,
Copyright (C) 1994 - 2008 Rodney A. Sparapani <rsparapa at mcw.edu>,
Copyright (C) 1994 - 2008 Stephen Eglen <stephen at gnu.org>

How where these year ranges determined ?

Tony has not stopped being an ess developer, just being the
"project leader".
I know that I have been hacking for "S-mode" (as it was called
back then) already in the very early nineties, I think before Tony
consolidated S-mode with other "stat-prog" modes into ESS around 1994.
Also, Stephen, now being a very prominent ESS core member, has
definitely not been in ESS core in the 90s.

Further, a quick 'grep Bates *.el' in the lisp/ subdirectory
yielded

ess-help.el:;; Copyright (C) 1989-1994 Bates, Kademan, Ritter and Smith
ess-inf.el:;; Copyright (C) 1989-1994 Bates, Kademan, Ritter and Smith
ess-mode.el:;; Copyright (C) 1989-1994 Doug Bates, Ed Kademan, Frank Ritter, David Smith.
ess-trns.el:;; Copyright (C) 1989--1994 Bates, Kademan, Ritter and Smith
ess.el:;; Copyright (C) 1989--1996 Bates, Kademan, Ritter and Smith
ess.el:;; Original Authors: Doug Bates, Ed Kademan, Frank Ritter, David Smith
essl-s.el:;; Copyright (C) 1989-1997 D. Bates, Kademan, Ritter, D.M. Smith, K. Hornik,

where the context of the last one is

;; Copyright (C) 1989-1997 D. Bates, Kademan, Ritter, D.M. Smith, K. Hornik,
;;	R.M. Heiberger, M. Maechler, and A.J. Rossini.

and there are more copyrights of earlier authors in SAS mode
etc. All of these had agreed in the past to donate their lisp
code to ESS.

And yes, ESS-core has not been extremely diligent in keeping the
copyright year ranges uptodate in the many *.el files,
but we have typically had all ESS-core members
share the same year-range for the main (latest) (C) statement,
and we typically *have* added the current years to files when changed.

Maybe a pragmatic approach would be to do the same thing
in the debian/copyright file, i.e. just change Tony's and my
entry to match the others  ?

Martin