ubuntu/debian package for latest ESS

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Mon May 19 14:46:51 CEST 2008

On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 02:42:22PM +0200, Martin Maechler wrote:

>     DE> On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 09:30:06AM +0200, Martin Maechler wrote:
>     >> >>>>> "DE" == Dirk Eddelbuettel <edd at debian.org>
>     >> >>>>>     on Wed, 14 May 2008 15:48:37 +0000 writes:
>     >>
>     DE> Well, I guess we need to triage them all.
>     >>
>     DE> On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 05:29:52PM +0200, Martin Maechler wrote:
>     >> >> Hmm, I'm now looking at that and see --- the only bug marked as important
>     >> >> >> Package: ess
>     >> >> >> Version: 5.3.0-1
>     >> >> >> Severity: important
>     >> >> >> Justification: fails to build from source
>     >>
>     DE> 'Fails to build from source' (or FTBFS for the iniated) typically
>     DE> arises when the toolchain changes. It comes up all the time as some
>     DE> people (like Lucas) have access to grids with >> 100 cpu and often
>     DE> auto-rebuild the entire archive.
>     >>
>     DE> I think this was just a matter of changing (old) Depends on tetex to
>     DE> (new) Depends on texlive. That one is clearly in my Debian court.
>     >>
>     DE> Leaving bugs
>     >>
>     DE> * #440194: ess: Tries to load when package is removed
>     DE> * #371058: ESS cannot detect help(foo, package=bar)
>     DE> * #400382: ess: options(error=recover) in R confuses ESS
>     DE> * #442159: ess: upgrade to fix complaints about .Last.value
>     >>
>     DE> * #456001: Warning: make-variable-buffer-local' should be called at toplevel
>     >>
>     >> I now have also committed a change to fix the above.
>
>     DE> I do not know what you refer to in "the above".  Could you use a bug number, please ?
>
> #456001
>

>     >> You might want to note that in  debian/changelog
>     >> before releasing the debian 5.3.8-svn.... package
>
>     DE> I tried. Could you please refer to debian/changelog, possibly with
>     DE> patches.  As a certain MM wrote in another email, "that is we all have
>     DE> shared SVN access..."
>
> but I don't speak Debian-English .. even my regular English
> seems confusing enough ...
>
> Since my commit added to lisp/ & lisp/ChangeLog I did not want to
> add to yet another changelog, particularly, since the change
> was *not* in the debian/ subdirectory but rather the lisp/ one.
>
> The main reason for my e-mail was that you should note the svn
> commit ..

I see I was confused because 456001 had already been identified by Stefan as fixed.

So are we all-aboard then that

	#400382: ess: options(error=recover) in R confuses ESS

is the last open bug (and it is understood that ESS Core now knows it
and may get to it, or not, in a future release) so that, as far as the
Debian bug tracker is concerned, released 5.3.8~svn3... would bring us
down to one?

Dirk, now looking to upload the shiny new package this eve thanks to everybody's input