still no SAS

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Thu Jul 17 19:18:36 CEST 2008

On 17 July 2008 at 08:43, Martin Maechler wrote:

|     DS> I'm a neophyte, but did just notice that when I run the
|     DS> ess version installed from CRAN:
|
|     DS> deb http://<my.favorite.cran.mirror>/bin/linux/ubuntu
|     DS> hardy/
|
|     DS> that there is a missing '/' in 'etcess' when I do M-x
|     DS> SAS
|
|     DS> I get the message... ESS [SAS(SAS):
|     DS> /usr/share/ess/etcess-sas-sh-command
|

| Thank you Dale,
|
| that's exactly the problem I have mentioned in that other e-mail
| to Dirk.
| It's a problem in the current *.deb
| and I've now found the culprit:  debian/rules has explicitly set
| the directory without a trailing '/'
|
| I have now changed that (svn rev 3916).
| Dirk, could you build a new *.deb file for Dale to try?

Smokes, how embarrassing. I should have caught that.  My only lame excuse is
that it was code from Camm's time as maintainer. Thanks for finding that!

This now works thanks to Martin -- here is the prompt following M-x SAS:

ESS [SAS(SAS): /usr/share/ess/etc/ess-sas-sh-command] starting data directory? ~/

New test package is at
	http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com/tmp/ess_5.3.8~svn3916M-1_all.deb

Martin: Try it on Ubuntu; I still don't know why your install-info does not
play nicely when mine always does (and Dale's too, seemingly).

Cheers, Dirk