[R-sig-Debian] [ESS] Process SAS is not running... error on Ubuntu

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Sat Jul 12 19:45:02 CEST 2008

(This appeared on r-sig-debian by hand-approving Dale's message as he is not
a subscriber. I am also CCing the maintainer list ess-debian, and keeping
Dale CCed. He may get bounced there too... --Dirk)

On 12 July 2008 at 12:22, Dale Steele wrote:
| It does appear the ess package on CRAN for Ubuntu 8.04 fails to
| install the file 'ess-sas-sh-command'.   This prevents invoking SAS
| via 'M-x SAS'.
|
| http://cran.mirrors.hoobly.com/bin/linux/ubuntu/README.html
|
| --Dale
|
| On Fri, Jul 11, 2008 at 12:39 PM, Rodney Sparapani <rsparapa at mcw.edu> wrote:
| > Dale Steele wrote:
| >>
| >> I re-installed from Hardy packages on CRAN.  Same error occurs.  Still
| >> can't seem to find 'ess-sas-sh-command' file, ie. not in directory
| >> listing below.  Any further hints?  Thanks.  --Dale
| >>
| >> dsteele at dsteele-laptop:/usr/share/ess/etc$ ls
| >> BACKBUG5.BAT  ess-s4.S            icons     pkg-Maintainers  sas-keys.ps
| >> backbugs      ess-sp3.S           Makefile  R-ESS-bugs.R     sas-keys.rtf
| >> config.guess  function-outline.S  other     sas-keys.doc
| >>

| > I guess the .deb package is broken :o(  Now does everyone see why I don't
| > like duplicating a perfectly good .zip distribution?  How hard is it
| > really to follow these instructions:
| > http://ess.r-project.org/Manual/readme.html#Installation
| >
| > There is no avoiding step 5 is there?  So, I don't really see the point of
| > the
| > .deb  The file that you want is here (and clearly a part of the ESS
| > package):
| >
| > https://svn.r-project.org/ESS/trunk/etc/ess-sas-sh-command

Debian packages generally do 'configure; make; make install'. This package
does not, possibly for historical reasons.

Anwyway. So let's fix what's being done. What we have (in Make language; and
debian/ess corresponds to / in the installed package)  is

install: install-stamp
install-stamp: build-stamp
	dh_testdir
	dh_testroot
	dh_clean -k
	dh_installdirs

#	cd doc ; $(MAKE) install PREFIX=`pwd`/debian/ess
	cp lisp/*.el debian/ess/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/ess
	! [ -e debian/ess/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/ess/ess-site.el ] || \
		chmod u+w debian/ess/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/ess/ess-site.el
	cat lisp/ess-site.el | \
		sed -e 's,(defvar ess-etc-directory nil,(defvar ess-etc-directory "/usr/share/ess/etc",1'\
		    -e 's,(while (and (listp ess-etc,(while (and (not ess-etc-directory) (listp ess-etc,1' \
		> debian/ess/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/ess/ess-site.el
	mkdir -p debian/ess/usr/share/ess
	cp -a etc debian/ess/usr/share/ess/
	rm -f debian/ess/usr/share/ess/etc/BACKBUGS.BAT
	rm -f debian/ess/usr/share/ess/etc/ess-sas-sh-command     ## the culprit
	rm -f debian/ess/usr/share/ess/etc/backbug5
	rm -f debian/ess/usr/share/ess/etc/backbug5.sparc
	rm -f debian/ess/usr/share/ess/etc/backbugs.sparc

	touch install-stamp

which shows that the etc/ directory in fact copied, but 'post-processed'.  I
think that is fine as the instructions at
	http://ess.r-project.org/Manual/readme.html#Installation
that Rodney so colourfully referred to only touch upon the required 'make
install' in the optional step 7 too. So those users who only the .el files
doesn't get etc/ either.

Anyway, I will commit the one-line change to not delete ess-sas-sh-command
and (possibly later today) prepare a new ess package for Debian which will
then trickly into Ubuntu.

Other suggestions to the manual process above are of course welcome.

Hope this helps, Dirk