Does ess (>= 5.3.10) now require R ?

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Thu Dec 4 16:45:39 CET 2008

On 4 December 2008 at 09:31, Martin Maechler wrote:
| Hi guys,
|
| sorry to be late to all of these threads.
|
| I've just now committed a patch that hopefully fixes the problem
| that ess has become properly compilable only when at least one
| version of R was available on the system.
|
| Indeed, it's been mea culpa stemming from a minor reorganization
| of
|    ess-versions-created,
|    ess-r-versions-created,
|    ess-s-versions-created
|
| in ess-site.el
| and I also have left there
| a three line comment with  "FIXME" about the subject.

Seems fine. When r-base-core is lifted from the system, ess 5.3.10-2 stills
installs fine:

[ess-site:] require 'ess   *ITSELF* ...
Finding all versions of R on your system...
Sorry, no version of R could be found on your system.
Wrote /usr/share/emacs-snapshot/site-lisp/ess/ess.elc
Processing triggers for doc-base ...
Processing 1 changed doc-base file(s)...
Registering documents with scrollkeeper...

Thanks for the quick fix!

Dirk