[BioC] RNA-seq pathway analysis in Canis familiaris

Jessica Perry Hekman hekman2 at illinois.edu
Fri May 16 18:31:44 CEST 2014

Hi, all. I am new to Bioconductor. I've tried hard to find the answer to
my question in online documentation, so I apologize if I'm asking
something which is already out there.

I'm hoping to perform RNA-seq pathway analysis using GAGE and Pahview.
The RNAseq workflow documentation here:

http://bioconductor.org/packages/release/bioc/vignettes/gage/inst/doc/RNA-seqWorkflow.pdf

shows that a known-genes annotation package is required for this
workflow. The example uses human, TxDb.Hsapiens.UCSC.hg19.knownGene.
Some other species have pre-built packages, but not dog.

I'm having trouble figuring out how to construct the equivalent package
for Canis familiaris 3.1. This vignette

http://www.bioconductor.org/packages/release/bioc/vignettes/GenomicFeatures/inst/doc/GenomicFeatures.pdf

(section 3) suggests that I can load a sqlite file based on UCSC known
gene data. I can't quite figure out how to construct this sqlite file.
Alternatively, I could load an annotation package such as
TxDb.Hsapiens.UCSC.hg19.knownGene, and I'd be willing to build one of
those for dog, but am not sure how.

Any advice or pointers to appropriate documentation would be hugely
appreciated.

Thanks,
Jessica

--
Jessica P. Hekman, DVM, MS
PhD student, University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign