[BioC] Adding annotations to GSE datasets

Sean Davis sdavis2 at mail.nih.gov
Thu May 8 12:24:30 CEST 2014

Hi, Marcelo.

On Wed, May 7, 2014 at 8:01 PM, Marcelo Pereira <marcelops at gmail.com> wrote:
> Quick question:
>
> I am trying to import some GEO datasets, and having some issues with the
> annotations:
>
> I can download the GSE dataset using:
>
> gset <- getGEO("GSE11024", GSEMatrix=TRUE, AnnotGPL=TRUE)
>

> However, it will return me a ExpressionSet with the following format:
>
>               X1    X10    X100   X1000 ...
> GSM278765
> GSM278766
> GSM278767
> GSM278768
> GSM278769

This is not what is returned by GEOquery, so you have done some
manipulation (looks like you did a transpose on the expression
matrix), it seems.

> This is pretty much what I need, but I still need to translate (X1, X10,
> X100, X1000, etc...) to the actual names of the genes.

library(GEOquery)
gset <- getGEO("GSE11024", GSEMatrix=TRUE, AnnotGPL=TRUE)[[1]]
head(fData(gset))

The gene symbols are in the "Gene" column:

genesymbols = fData(gset)$Gene

Sean