[BioC] DEXSeq dispersion trend estimation?

Ryan C. Thompson rct at thompsonclan.org
Mon Mar 31 23:37:29 CEST 2014

Hello,

I am trying to understand the methods used in DEXSeq, and I was hoping
you could clear up some of the details of the dispersion trend squeezing
strategy. In particular, when fitting the dispersion-mean trend, what is
used as the mean for a given exon? Is this computed only based on the
exon's own counts, or is it the mean of all the counts for that exon,
including the sum of counts in other exons? If it is the latter,
wouldn't the mean be identical for every exon in the same gene, since
the total counts for that gene are constant, and if so, is this the
intended effect?

Thanks,

-Ryan Thompson