[BioC] Data Analysis for Genomics, free HarvardX course, starts April 7

Michael Love michaelisaiahlove at gmail.com
Sun Mar 30 22:49:07 CEST 2014

Rafael Irizarry and I have been working on a free online course, Data
Analysis for Genomics (PH525x) which starts on April 7, 2014 and runs
for 8 weeks:

https://www.edx.org/course/harvardx/harvardx-ph525x-data-analysis-genomics-1401

Our target audience are the postdocs, graduate students and research
scientists that are tasked with analyzing genomics data, but don't
have any formal training. The course will start with the very basics,
but will ramp up rather quickly and end with workflows for genome
variation, RNA-seq, DNA methylation, and ChIP-seq.

The class consists of lectures and computer labs. The lectures cover
foundational topics such as exploratory data analysis, basic
statistical inference, linear regression, modeling with parametric
distributions, empirical Bayes, multiple comparison corrections and
smoothing techniques. The labs will run parallel to the lectures and
use R/Bioconductor to explore and analyze genomics data. The lectures
and the labs have accompanying R markdown files for reproducing plots
and analyses, which we will link to each week (in a few weeks we will
also have a complete repository of all the Rmd files).

best,

Mike