[BioC] .CEL file

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at uw.edu
Thu Mar 27 21:49:25 CET 2014

Hi Prabhakar,

On Thursday, March 27, 2014 4:32:27 PM, prabhakar ghorpade wrote:
> Hi,
>     How can I view .CEL file? Is it possible to make dummy .CEL file for analysis?

Can you expand on this a bit? What exactly are you trying to do?

The celfile format is quite complicated, so creating a dummy file is
likely to be more work than just getting some data from say, GEO or
ArrayExpress and doing whatever you want.

As for viewing a celfile, depending on what you mean by that, there are
multiple options.

1.) If the celfile is text, you can just send it to stdout using 'cat'.
Or if it is binary you can use the celfile converter to make it text,
and then use cat
(http://www.affymetrix.com/support/developer/downloads/Tools/CelFileConversion.ZIP)

2.) You could use the various functions in affxparser (readCel,
readCelHeader, readCelIntensities, etc).

3.) You could use functions in affyio, either directly or via the affy
package. Or if the array you care about is a more modern version, then
you could use oligo and the respective pdInfoPackage. Or probably use
some functions in xps that I don't know about.

Best,

Jim