[BioC] Handingly outliers with voom [was: tagwise parameters for negative binomial in edgeR]

Gordon K Smyth smyth at wehi.EDU.AU
Mon Mar 24 04:25:08 CET 2014

Dear Ina,

voom is already quite robust as it is (more so than un-robustified edgeR).
However limma also has special options for either observation or
dispersion outliers.

In the sequence

   v <- voom(y,design)
   fit <- lmFit(v,design)
   fit <- eBayes(fit)

replacing the second line with

   fit <- lmFit(v,design,method="robust")

is intended to robustify against observation outliers while (as Ryan has
said) modifying the third line to

   fit <- eBayes(fit,robust=TRUE)

handles dispersion outliers.

In practice, my lab uses robustified eBayes() a lot but robustified
lmFit() very little.  lmFit() has included the "robust" option since limma
was first posted to Bioconductor in 2002, but it has been found to be
seldom needed and so tends to be forgotten.

Best wishes
Gordon