[BioC] Select different linear models in voom

Gordon K Smyth smyth at wehi.EDU.AU
Fri Mar 7 00:29:19 CET 2014

Dear Francesco,

If you have 400 covariates and 1000 samples it would appear that you can
feasibly use all covariates in a linear model at once.  Does voom() work
on your computer with this full model or does R run out of memory?

It it works, then I would suggest running voom and limma on the full model
as usual, then removing covariates one by one from the linear model
(without re-running voom) if they result in no DE genes.  In model
selection theory, this is called "backward selection".

Best wishes
Gordon