[BioC] cpm cutoff (edgeR) [was: total count filter cutoff (edgeR)]

Gordon K Smyth smyth at wehi.EDU.AU
Fri Jun 20 10:20:35 CEST 2014

Dear Daniel,

The guidelines are the same for miRNA-seq as for RNA-seq.  At its
simplest, you simply need a reasonable minimum number of counts in at
least some samples.  At a minimum, I think you would want at least 5
counts, maybe more, in each sample in which the gene in expressed.

So, if your sequencing depth is about 20 million reads per sample, you
might ask for cpm>0.3 (equivalent to 6 reads). If your sequence depth is
10 million read per sample, you might ask for cpm>0.6 (again equivalent to
6 reads).  It's not rocket-science.  It's all quite rough as the exact
cutoff isn't important.

Best wishes
Gordon