[BioC] Deseq for pairwise comparison among many pairs

Michael Love michaelisaiahlove at gmail.com
Wed Jun 11 15:32:11 CEST 2014

hi Shihai,

We generally recommend users upgrade to DESeq2, which is faster and
more sensitive. Additionally, it would make the pairwise comparisons a
bit easier. You could use for example:

dds <- DESeq(dds)
results(dds, contrast=c("treatment","B","A"))
results(dds, contrast=c("treatment","C","A"))
results(dds, contrast=c("treatment","C","B"))

Which would estimate size factors and dispersions using all samples in
the first line. The following three lines build results tables
contrasting all pairs of the three treatments.

I would guess you can run them together, as genes from different
chromosomes are combined in a standard analysis. But if I weren't
sure, you could compute the size factors from the chromosomes and from
the plasmids separately. If these are similar, then I would run them
all together.

If you have two vectors which identify the plasmid rows and the chromosome rows:

estimateSizeFactorsFromMatrix( counts(x)[ plasmidRows, ] )
estimateSizeFactorsFromMatrix( counts(x)[ chromosomeRows, ] )

where x is the dataset, either CountDataSet or DESeqDataSet for DESeq2.

Mike