[BioC] Fwd: limma modeling, paired samples

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at uw.edu
Mon Jun 9 16:07:58 CEST 2014

Hi Riba,

On 6/9/2014 8:14 AM, Riba Michela wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm writing again dealing with a paired sample design:
> the experimental setting involves 9 patients, 3 disease stages and
> microarray expression data
> according to the included target file
>

> target<- readTargets("targetPT.txt")
> head(target)
>

> Genotype <- factor(target$Genotype)
> Disease<- factor(target$Disease, levels=c("stageA", "stageB", "stageC"))
>
>   I have performed a paired samples analysis using
> *design <- model.matrix(~Genotype+Disease)*
> *
> *
> in order to sort out genes differentially expressed between stages A and
> B for example
> but I noticed that the first patient and the first disease stage (in
> alphabetical order) disappears in the fit
> using
> colnames (fit)

The patient and disease don't disappear; they are absorbed into the
intercept term. The model you are fitting is called a 'factor effects'
model, and all the coefficients are interpreted as differences between a
given sample type and the 'baseline', which in this case is the Stage A
disease for Genotype 1.

In other words:

 > colnames(design)
  [1] "(Intercept)"   "DiseasestageB" "DiseasestageC" "Genotypept02"
"Genotypept03"  "Genotypept04"  "Genotypept06"
  [8] "Genotypept09"  "Genotypept10"  "Genotypept13"  "Genotypept14"

DiseasestageB can be interpreted as Stage B - Stage A after controlling
for the paired nature of your data. The DiseasestageC coefficient is
interpreted analogously.

This is a basic concept of linear modeling, and if you are getting
tripped up on the basics then I would highly recommend finding a local
statistician who can help you.

Best,

Jim

--