[BioC] GLM design matrix not symmetric

Gordon K Smyth smyth at wehi.EDU.AU
Sat Jan 25 09:00:49 CET 2014

Dear Michael,

Intuitively, I'm sure you will appreciate that, if you lose one member of
a matched pair in a paired analysis, then it becomes impossible to make
any comparisons using the remaining member of that pair.

>From a mathematical point of view, edgeR has no requirement for there to
be equal numbers of samples in the different genotype groups, so the
analysis approach does the right thing and remains valid.  In the simple
example you give, edgeR will in effect remove the first sample from the
analysis.  So you will get identical KO vs WT DE results from either:

   day <- factor(c(1,2,3,2,3))
   condition <- factor(c("WT","WT","WT","KO","KO"),levels=c("WT","KO"))
   design <- model.matrix(~day+condition)

or

   day <- factor(c(2,3,2,3))
   condition <- factor(c("WT","WT","KO","KO"),levels=c("WT","KO"))
   design <- model.matrix(~day+condition)

with the day1 WT sample removed.

Best wishes
Gordon