[BioC] pre-ranked GSEA within R? + Best DESeq2/limma-voom metric?

Gordon K Smyth smyth at wehi.EDU.AU
Wed Jan 22 08:15:47 CET 2014

Hi Jose,

This is a big topic, and you raise a lot of issues.  I'll just try to make
some brief responses.

On Mon, 20 Jan 2014, Jose Garcia wrote:

> Dear Gordon,
> First of all, thank you very much for your replies to our questions. For a
> non-statistician it is always a pleasure (and a MUST) bearing in mind the
> actual statistics behind the approaches, explained in a clear way showing
> its advantages, what they do, what they do not/cannot do, caveats and
> comparisons.
>
> Let me see if I got the point in my words:
>
> 1. log2FC (shrunken) would be the one to be used for DESeq2 and other
> RNA-Seq DE tools for Gene Set Enrichment Analysis pre-ranked but:
> 2. intercorrelation of genes will inflate p-values if GSEA (broad) is used
> with those log2FC.

Yes, a pre-ranked GSEA analysis will inflate significant (make p-values
smaller).  You should only do a pre-ranked analysis if you have no
alternative, for example if you have no replicates.  If you have no
replicates, then as far as I know the only shrunk logFC available to you
is that produced by predFC() in the edgeR package.

Note that a standard GSEA analysis, as described in the GSEA publications,
requires lots of replicates and does not inflate significance.

> 3. This issue has been corrected in CAMERA approach but it works only
> for normal-limma voom data. (Your next publication in Feb 2014 will show
> how limma-voom can be used over DESeq (DESeq2?) and others with success.

At the time we wrote the voom paper, CAMERA and ROAST worked with voom but
not with edgeR.  CAMERA and ROAST now work with edgeR as well.  For help
see

   library(edgeR)
   ?camera.DGEList

> 4. CAMERA can calculate the enrichment for any Gene Set in MSigDB
> against the background of other sets, not against all the others, "one
> by one", taking account of the inter-correlations.

I'm not quite sure what you mean.  CAMERA does take account of
inter-correlations, as you say.  It can test against the background of all
other sets or against the background of all genes/probes in the genome.
By default the background is all genes in the complete data but not in the
set.

> So, the solutions I see would be:
>
> 1. Use limma/voom/Camera/MSigDB for all the collections of sets I am
> interested in  (C2,C6,..) for all the gene sets individually and get their
> p-values of enrichment (intercorrelation OK). Should this work in giving me
> a list of top Enriched Gene Sets as GSEA(broad) does but with the
> correction for intercorrelation? I will explore CAMERA function promptly.

Yes.  Note that a regular GSEA analysis (not pre-ranked) also corrects for
inter-gene correlations, but requires more replicates than CAMERA or ROAST
do.

> 2. Use DESeq2/shrunken foldChanges/ find a way to use them into Camera or
> Camera-like approach.

No, this would not make sense.

> In the end, I am not a supporter or neither approach, DESeq2 over
> limma-voom or GSEA over Camera. What I would like is to have a
> statistically correct approach that takes the DE log2FC with their
> p-values and uses lists of relevant genes taking account of the size of
> change(~biological relevance) (in the form of a rank list or average
> FoldChanges or other) to calculate an enrichment. I chose the pre-ranked
> GSEA because of the problem of having to define cutoffs of significance,
> specially for fold changes.

None of the gene set testing methods require cutoffs.  This is one of
things that distinguish them from overlap tests (like an standard GO
analysis with Fisher tests).

> By the way, I was thinking in using other statistic to explore RNA-Seq
> results in a different way to classical DE that might result tricky to use
> with Gene Set Enrichment bearing in mind the intercorrelations problem. I
> am thinking about finding the correlation Pearson coefficient of each gene
> in my dataset for expression values in all samples to values of a set of
> genes of my choice (also in my dataset )and find whether most correlated
> genes (again without a cut off of R pearson would be better, like ranking
> from 1 to 0 or -1) are enriched in a selected pathway or category. What
> should I use in this case for gene set enrichment analysis?

Well, I have done almost the same analysis that you suggest in the past:

   http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2164/9/363

In that paper, I ranked genes by their correlation with RUNX1 and then
tested for enrichment of various sets of genes using the geneSetTest()
function of the limma package.  This is similar to a GSEA pre-ranked test
but rather seemed to me to be simpler and more convenient.

Note that Pearson correlation is not ideal.  A better approach would be to
regress all other genes on your gene of interest.  You can do this by
adding the log-expression values (logCPM say) of the gene of interest as a
column to the design matrix when running voom or edgeR.  We this approach,
you can then used the ROAST or CAMERA functions to test for pathways that
are correlated with your gene of interest while accounting for inter-gene
correlations.

> Reading your CAMERA paper discussion, I realise that the
> intercorrelation problem is so because using DE data we should
> underweight those gene sets with correlation because of your view, in my
> opinion correct in most yet not all cases, that inter-gene correlation
> 'reflects non-specific co-regulation, unrelated to the treatment
> condition'. That may hold true for most DE-driven GSEA tests.

In the CAMERA method, we only use the non-specific inter-gene correlation
that is not associated with the treatment condition.  So we are making an
observation rather than an assumption.

> What about the test I last mentioned, where I am really interested in
> genes correlating to a set of genes across my whole dataset, regardless
> conditions (say all targets of the same miRNA)? And last, what if my set
> of genes used to find R pearson were defined based on a classical DE
> analysis of the same dataset, say with limma-voom?

Sounds like you would be double-dipping.

Best wishes
Gordon